Keycloak Realms requires email configuration to
- verify email address of user
- allow user to set own password
Use Keycloak Account Management to add email address in Personal Info
The below steps work for Keycloak 13 but UI may change with time
- Login to Keycloak Security Admin Console using admin credentials
- Click admin name shown in the top right corner
- Click Manage account
- Click Personal Info
- Enter email address
Create an App Password inside your Google Account
Note: Google now requires that you have 2-Step-Verification enabled before you can set up an application password. App passwords let you sign in to your Google Account from apps on devices that don’t support 2-Step Verification like Keycloak. You’ll only need to enter it once so you don’t need to remember it.
- Follow the steps in https://devanswers.co/create-application-specific-password-gmail/
- The 16-character password is used later by your keycloak email setup
- Just like your normal password, this app password grants complete access to your Google Account.
- You won’t need to remember it, so don’t write it down or share it with anyone.
- Configuration: Select App -> Custom -> Keycloak
Configure Keycloak Email Settings
- Open your realm
- Under Realm Settings > Email the following details will work for a Gmail account
- Host: smtp.gmail.com
- Port: 465
- From: email@example.com [ your gmail address }
- Enable SSL : On
- Enable Authentication: On
- Username: helmut.hutzler
- Password: YOUR-16-Byte-APP-PASSWORD ( see above configuration )
Press Test Connection button should return with sucdess and your gmail account should have rececived an email.